Saturday, August 25, 2007

Got backup?




Okay, I was coming back from grocery shopping the other day when I saw a giant poster on the notice board. Unfortunately my mobile's camera is not working, so I will just have to give you the gist of it: "I have lost my Ipod that had all my research, If you've found it please contact me! Very Urgent!!!".

Are you kidding me?

Losing an iPod is stupid enough, but losing and iPod that has your thesis is beyond any comment.... But I cannot hold myself, so I'll have my take:

Backup is underestimated by everyone. Nobody backs up, I don't normally (or regularly) back up and most definitely you haven't backed up for at least 2 months. That's fine by me because I know that even if my hard drive is screwed, I'd only lose my iTunes playlist, some photos and some cool apps I've discovered recently... I can live with that... (and come to think about it, I have my favorite albums either on CD or on my old iBook)

Nevertheless, I backed up x3 while working on my dissertation on a daily basis.

Since I HAD to work on the Windows partition of my Mac, every night I'd e-mail the day's work to two different e-mail accounts, and also copy them to my OS X partition. JUST TO MAKE SURE. Just because I knew that when you are doing something of vital importance, you can never be too careful. The only day I forgot to back up and went out, I was thinking about it all night long (okay, until I downed my second pint, but it still counts...).

There is a Greek saying that goes like that: "You sleep on the bed that YOU have made". It means that there are some aspects in life that you can control. And if you can control something, at least be good at it...

I really can't imagine myself prancing around and drinking with my iPod filled with my dissertation. As said before, losing an iPod is stupid enough, losing an iPod with at least 3-5 months' work is unthinkable...

I really feel sorry about this person and I hope she finds her iPod but it's only her to blame if she fails her MSc/Phd/etc...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home