Friday, August 10, 2007

Liverpool starting the season...

In case you have not already realized, I am a Liverpool fan.

Get this straight: I am a Liverpool fan, from Athens, currently studying in Manchester....

Even better: I am a Liverpool fan from Athens who was IN MANCHESTER when Liverpool was in the Champions League final in Athens....

.
.
.
(let me weep will you???)
.
.
.
Okay, I'm back.
.
.
.
Anyway, ever since I remember myself was a fan of Liverpool.
Liverpool and Olympiakos but the latter is an issue I'm still dealing with... :p

This summer Liverpool filled me with hope that I did not have during the last year.

First of all, we have a brilliant gaffer. Our manager is master in discovering talents, motivating the team as well as a brilliant tactician.

Our skipper is pure inspiration. Steven Gerrard is the best that English football has to offer today: leadership, power, genius...

After Liverpool being bought by Gillette and Hicks, we've been offered a big pile of cash to spend on transfers. Given what I said about Benitez, I do believe we've spent it wisely. We could use one more defender -espessialy on the left wing since my much beloved Riise sometimes forgets about his defensive duties- but I still trust the gaffer's choices...

We have one of the most promising strikers in Europe today (Fernando Torres) accompanied by players like Kuyt and Crouch that have proven that can get it done.
We managed to get one of Europe's most promising wingers - Ryan Babel- and a pacey midfielder like Benayoun.
Voronin has also proven to be a surprise free purchase.

Our first game is on Saturday against Aston Villa. If this was a mid-season game and Liverpool were contesting for the premier league, I wouldn't be as scared as I am now. Liverpool are known not to be able to make the most out of the first league games. If you also consider that 5 days later we face Toulouse for the Champions League qualifiers -an important cash injection- you will understand the reason behind my worries.

My wish is that the lads will take it easy, will not stress and start the title race confidently.
My fear is that the lads will strive to prove their determination to win the league this year, will stress and not deliver...

Just because I am superstitious, I will give a prediction on Saturdays game (most of my predictions are right normally) :
Liverpool's side (ALTHOUGH I HAVE NOT WATCHED ANY OF LIVERPOOL'S PRE-SEASON GAMES):

REINA,
FINNAN, CARRAGHER, AGGER, RIISE
PENNANT, ALONSO, GERRARD, KEWELL
KUYT, TORRES

Rafa will not fear attack but I also think we will not face a counter-attack problem: Carragher will be watching our back.

I think the score will be 2-1 for Liverpool. I have a feeling that Gerrard will score...

That's all for liverpool... see you on Sunday...!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home